Im a student on a j1 visa, the visa on the passport is valid till 3rd of feb 2013 however my ds2019 expired on 3rd of jan 2013

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

at this point i would like to change my j1 to f1 will it be possible to do so before my visa expires ?

1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

1

Answered . Yes, it is possible, but you need to take immediate action. The controlling date is the expiration of your DS-2019 (your program end date), not your visa. A J-1 alien can remain lawfully in the United States for 30 days past his or her program expiration date. Thus, any application for a change of status can must be filed within that 30 day time period.

Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

2. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . Really the date that matters is when your program ended. You need to file before then if you want to change status.

3. Eric Elliot Ludin

Answered . It depends on the timing. Has the program ended already. If you plan before the program ends and before the next on begins, it is possible.