Im a student on a j1 visa, the visa on the passport is valid till 3rd of feb 2013 however my ds2019 expired on 3rd of jan 2013

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

at this point i would like to change my j1 to f1 will it be possible to do so before my visa expires ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, it is possible, but you need to take immediate action. The controlling date is the expiration of your DS-2019 (your program end date), not your visa. A J-1 alien can remain lawfully in the United States for 30 days past his or her program expiration date. Thus, any application for a change of status can must be filed within that 30 day time period.

    Consult with an experienced immigration attorney for case specific advice.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  2. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Really the date that matters is when your program ended. You need to file before then if you want to change status.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  3. Eric Elliot Ludin

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . It depends on the timing. Has the program ended already. If you plan before the program ends and before the next on begins, it is possible.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,676 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,676 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering