Im 37 weeks pregnant , can my company terminate me because I don't qualify for FMLA?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bronx, NY

they knew ahead of time when I was 3 months that I wasn't going to qualify for FMLA if I left work prior to Sept 4th. They also paid me STD already once, so wouldn't that mean that they approved me for it?

1. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . In NYC, the protections for pregnant workers are very strong. It will be a huge mistake for your company to let you go while you are out on short term disability (STD). If they do, consult the NYC Commission on Human Rights, or a lawyer.

2. Vincent Peter White

2

Answered . You may still be due a reasonable accommodation for your pregnancy, I would suggest scheduling a free consultation with an experienced employment attorney immediately.

3. Jonathan Ian Nirenberg

2

Answered . While employers generally can fire employees who happen to be pregnant, they cannot fire you because you are pregnant. I would recommend you talk to an employment lawyer about the specific facts of your situation.