Skip to main content

Im 20 moved down to mexico 9 month ago, due to grandparents health.. isit possible i can fix papers been down hear?

West Covina, CA |

im 20 moved down to mexico 9 month ago, due to grandparents health but since its to hard to go back i didnt realy want to risk it..... isit possible i can fix papers been down hear, i studied my whole life in the U.S. kinder till High School i have my diploma i have proof that i have lived over 17 years in th U.S. i have all my shots school id's i have grades and etc of proof or do i realy have to go back to the U.S. to be able to fix?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is not clear how much of a "fix" is possible. It sounds like if you had never left the U.S. you would qualify for the TEMPORARY relief of "deferred action, but you need to discuss this in detail with someone. The rules have not yet been released. It is not clear whether a nine-month absence would make you ineligible for deferred action, and you presumably have no legal way to return to the U.S.

This general information does not establish any attorney-client relationship. There may well be factors not mentioned in the question which could and should be addressed in an attorney consultation.


You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney as soon as possible. You have not provided enough facts for an immigration attorney to give you proper advice here. It sounds as if you are asking about the current "Dream Act" policies. However, there may be other relief available to you or other options that would provide you with immigration benefits in the US. Only an experienced immigration attorney can help you figure that out, once all facts of your circumstances are known. The particular immigration benefit that you are applying for will determine whether it can be done while you are in the US or while you are in Mexico. Good luck!

FOR CONSULTATION on IMMIGRATION or FAMILY LAW MATTERS Contact: Law Offices of Jennifer L. Bennett, 312.972.7969,, 3806 W. Irving Park Road, Suite B, Chicago, IL 60618. The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advice specific to your situation and/or case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo are only general in nature; specific answers require knowledge of all facts.



Thanks for your help. I actualy liked the way you answered my question. It was all positive. Thanks ones again God Bless YOU


Unfortunately, you are not eligible for Deferred Action. One of the requirements is that you had to have been present in the United States on June 15, 2012. If your father, mother, siblings have legal status, maybe there is another way. Good luck.

714-560-0040. The answer provided is general in nature and because not all facts are known, it should not be construed as legal advice. The answer does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer