Skip to main content

Im 19 and my boyfriend wants to come to the U.S to marrie me and he lives and algeria what should we do please help me.

Omaha, NE |

he is the love of my life and i am his we skype for 4 months now and we talk alot and i cant move there or iwould have to quit my job and i cant so please can some one help us. please and thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will need to file a Fiance visa on his behalf. There is the 2 year physical meeting pre-requisite prior to petitioning him. You must have met (anytime) during the last 2 years. You must provide proof of that in your petition. If you have not yet met, and given that his changes as a young Algerian of obtaining a U.S. visitor's visa from the consulate in Algiers are next to zero, you have the choice of either:
1. Asking him to meet you in Paris (France) or any other European country to which he could obtain a visa to, and take many pictures with him there, save your airplane ticket, boarding pass, etc. OR
2. If that were not possible for him, then for you to fly to Algiers (ouch!) to meet with him there. In case you won't feel like flying to Algeria due to its current geopolitical situation, then as an other option, and provided he can obtain a Moroccan visa, you two could meet in a Moroccan city (romantic & exotic..)

You understand the physical meeting requirement is a MUST - and will also enable you to get to know him from up close and decide if you really want to petition and later marry him in the U.S. or not. (A "wake up call".)

If you'll return even more enamored then when you left, then here are the steps back in the U.S.
1. Fling of a Fiance petition with the USCIS (approx. 4 months to approval);
2. Him filing a K-1 Fiance visa at the consulate general in Algiers, which will also include the (small, light) Affidavit of Support from you, to ensure to the U.S. gov. that boyfriend, once in U.S. soil will not end up becoming a "public charge"..
3. You will have to get married within 3 months of his arrival, after which he will have to file for "Adjustment of Status" (green card) with USCIS.

Immigration law being federal and having had almost 20 years experience dealing with fiancee cases, I stand ready to help you. You will not succeed all this without the expert helping hand of an experienced immigration lawyer.
Bonne chance!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.



thanks but what if i could not go to see him because i have a job and we both will need the money and we skype alot n see each other he also went to france for colloge could he have a good chance at getting a tourist visa?


You can apply for a fiancé visa for him so he can come to the US or travel to Algeria, marry him there then apply. Best advice is to consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


More information is needed about your boyfriend. the US Embassy in Algeria is known to scrutinize its applicants. Does your boyfriend ever been arrested, charged, or convicted of a crime? Has your boyfriend ever applied for a visa to visit the U. S.? Has your boyfriend ever been to the United States? Has he ever overstayed an I-94 entry card? Has he ever worked in United States? If the answer is no all of the above then there may be hope.

Otherwise, I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with competent and experienced immigration attorney.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.



no he has never been arrested or came to america or tryed to but he did go to france for school to get his masters degree n we just want to know what he has to do to come here because i can not go to him or i have to quit my job


You will have to hire an immigration attorney to help you get him here so you can marry.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer