Im 18 and my girlfriend is 16, we live in ohio, can we have sex legally?

Wellington, OH |

Hi, im just wondering if my 16 year old girlfriend and i can have sex legally in ohio, or do we have to wait til she's 18?

1. No, if you are an adult (18) and she is a minor (16), you cannot have sex legally unless you are married.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown’s responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question or response above. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York, and may be contacted by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com.

2. Attorney Brown is not from Ohio and it appears that she did not research her answer. ORC 2907.04 provides that a person who is eighteen years old or older and knowingly or recklessly has sexual conduct with a person who is thirteen or older or less than sixteen is guilty of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor.

Although I do not recommend that minors engage in sexual conduct for many reasons, a sixteen year old is able to give consent.

The above information is shared for educational and discussion purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is intended or established through your reliance on the information provided. If your legal rights could be impacted by using this information, you are urged to seek legal counsel before taking action.