Skip to main content

Im 17 and 9 moths and i am 2 months it legal for me to leave my parents home to live with the father of the baby?

Brockton, MA |

ill be 18 in 3 months but my boyfriend/father of my child wants me to move in so he can support the baby and myself.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Your baby's father can and should support you and your child. Congratulations to you and him on the upcoming birth of your child and to him for wanting to support you. But you do not need to give up the support you receive from your parents for the baby's father to provide additional support. Why make things harder for you and your baby before the baby is even born?

Legally, your parents are required to support you until you are 18 and they can use legal process to try to get you back home if you move out without their permission before you turn 18. In 3 months, you will be a legal adult and then would not need your parents' permission to move out of their home. Why not see how things work out for those additional 3 months?

You may be sorry later, if you need your parents' help but you cut them off and stopped accepting their help while you are still a minor.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.


Attorney Rich is right - why not just wait 3 months? Your boyfriend can certainly provide support to you and the baby - both emotionally and financially - while you are still living with your parents. Your parents may give you permission to move in with your boyfriend - have you asked them? Don't burn any bridges with your parents now . . . you will need their support in the coming months and years. Good luck.

This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer