Im 16 and pregnant by a 23 year old and we live in TN, how can i keep him from getting in trouble????

Knoxville, TN |

im 16 and pregnant and ill be 17 in september. the guy im pregnant by is 23 years old and my mother got me and my 1 year old brother taken away by DCS and they are not to happy to hear that this is a 23 year olds baby. they are talking about charging him for it but how can i keep that from happening??? i cant let him get in trouble for this it was my idea. i know that doesnt matter but i want to marry him and he wants to do anything and evrything for me and he wants to get married too. my parents agree and hes really wanting to do everything right and im ready to do this i just need help...

1. I'm not sure marrying him will help at this point, but hopefully a GN lawyer can give you more help.

Don't forget to check "Helpful" if I helped you out. This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship and is based on the limited information available at the time of the response. Before acting on anything stated or referenced in this response you should consult with an attorney of your choosing and go over the specific details of your legal circumstances. My responses are also given in the context of the laws of the State of Louisiana. To the extent this comment involves principles of law governed by another state my comment merely reflects my opinion and should not be considered legal advice.

2. The only way that you could marry him is with your parents' consent. You need them to immediately sign the appropriate affidavits in front of a notary, get a marriage license, and marry this guy. You need to do that today.

You also need to get a different lawyer for your boyfriend. He is facing a statutory rape charge which is a felony.

I doubt you can afford a lawyer, so you need to find the affidavits of consent on the internet or just go to the courthouse with your two parents and get a marriage license with them present, and immediately marry this guy.

Apologies if I've rambled, but you need to take immediate action.

On the other hand, you also need to consider putting this child up for adoption. DCS is very aware of the likelihood that you will be unable to care for this child, due to lack of education and employability. It is almost a statistical certainty that you and your child will live in poverty. On the other hand, if you delay children until after you obtain a college education, then the chance of your children being raised in poverty is extremely low. These are life altering decisions which DCS and your parents must make because you do not have the life experience and maturity with which to make these decisions. There may be a way to remain in contact with this child even after you put it up for adoption. There are lots of options, but you're unfortunately not in a good situation. I'm sorry for your turmoil.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others. Thank you. This response may provide information relating to potential legal issues. Nevertheless, your review of any information contained herein is not a substitute for legal advice from qualified legal counsel. For this reason, you should not rely on this response as a source of legal advice. Your use of this information does not create any attorney-client agreement. In order to become a client of David C. Lee, you must negotiate a specific attorney–client agreement with an attorney from this law office.

3. Go back and read David Lee's answer again. He's exactly right.

Invest in some birth control so you don't find yourself in this situation again until you are ready to have a family.

If you would like a consultation, call (865) 522-9000 to make an appointment. The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

4. You've already made a bad mistake which will have lasting consequences for you, your baby and your boyfriend. Don't continue he to make the situation worse by depriving this baby of a good home. You need to think about putting him or her up for adoption. Your boyfriend was old enough to know better, and while your question was "how can I stop his prosecution" please think long and hard before marriage as your answer. You have your whole future ahead of you, don't make decisions based on stopping a crime from being charged! Maybe this isn't legal advice, but it is advice of
    someone who cares. I'd be happy to talk to you, even just as a friend. You have serious issues going on and you need good advice right now, not just legal advice.