Skip to main content

Im 16 and my babys dad is 20 and we have a 15 month old, but i want to get custody of her, i dont want her dad seeing her at all

Columbus, NE |

I moved states so i live in Ne, and my babys dad lives in Az , He's 20 and im 16 and i want to get full custody of my baby and get his last name taken off of her birth certificate but is that possible? and i don't want him to be in her life at all, he smokes marijuana and drinks, i have a few picuters were hes smoking but i don't know if thats enough evidence, I also have pictures of him holding promethazine codeine and you can see his tattoo's on his right hand, but i just want to kno if this is enough evidence to get full custody of my child and to get his name taken off the birth certificate and to change her last name to mine.

Attorney Answers 2


You are actually talking about a lot of issues here. First of all, you need to file for custody in the child's home state. That might not be Nebraska at this point depending on how long you have lived here. Second, full custody might be possible, but it will be very difficult to convince a judge that the father should never see the child. You will need an attorney for this. As to changing your child's last name, that might be possible without the dad's permission if you can convince a judge that it is in the child's best interest and that it is necessary. You cannot take his name of the birth certificate unless your child is adopted (legally) by another man. For example if you were to marry and your husband was to adopt the baby. Judge's do not like to bastardize children.

I'm sure this is an overwhelming amount of information, which is why you will want an attorney. Legal aid may be able to help you (Google "Legal Aid Nebraska" for the number) or the Creighton Legal Clinic. If they cannot help you can usually find an attorney to work at a reduced rate who will take a payment plan. Our office offers these things, but you might start with the Clinic and Legal Aid first.

I am a licensed attorney in the state of Nebraska. However, the advice I give here is not to be taken as legal advice. It is merely my opinion based on the limited information given. In order to assure that your legal rights are being properly represented I would always recommend going in for a consultation with an attorney to explain your case in detail and answer any questions the attorney might have.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You should file for custody and request that the father have no contact with the child. It sounds like he was not legal when you too had the sexual contact, so I think it will be easy to have the matter resolved in your favor. Give us a call for a free consultation to help you answer any additional question. Our number is 402-455-1711 to set up a free initial consultation.

Mark as helpful

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics