Im 16 and i have an acs case open my mom wants to put me back and care , do i have to go to court

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

i went a wall from the care center and have been living on my own for about 2 months now. i have family court coming up in a few weeks. is it possbilbe that i dont have to show up. if i dont can they issue a warrant for my arrest ?

1. Ralph Duthely

3

Answered . If your are the subject child in an open ACS case, then you have an "Attorney for the Child" (formerly known as a law guardian). That person continues to represent you even if the case has not been in court for some time. It may be an attorney from the Legal Aid Society-Juvenile Rights Division or it may be a member of the Law Guardian Panel ( a private attorney assigned to represent you). You should contact that attorney. He or she is most familiar with your case and is in the best person to give you advice in such a difficult situation. Hopefully, you still have that attorney's contact information.

Being AWOL and on your own is never good for a person your age. Please contact your attorney. Best of luck with everything.

2. Marco Caviglia

2

Answered . You are 16, but still someone's legal responsibility, so the court has an interest in your welfare at this time. If it wants you to show, you must show, as you don't want to wind up with a PINS petition or similar burden. It is actually to your advantage to be there, with your AOC, so that you can voice your desires and needs first hand to the court.

3. Reid A Seino

3

Answered . If a court has ordered you to show up and appear, you have no recourse but to comply. Failure to do so may cause you more problems than what it is worth. If you have legitimate concerns about your current situation, you should consider talking with an attorney in your local area. There are several that may do free consultations and you would get more concrete answers.