Im 14 can i get a restraining order against my dad

Huntsville, AL |

My parents are divorced and im living with my Mom but when i go visit my dad he can get really mean.I love him cause he's my dad but I dont feel safe being around him.I know if I do this I wont beable to see him anymore,but im more conserned about my safety.The reason I want a restraining order is mainly because he threatens me and calls me and my mom bad names..

Until you become an adult or become emancipated, you are considerd incompetent by the courts as a result of your age. You need to discuss these matters with your mother who is responsible to take steps to protect you.

If you are abused, hit, assaulted when you are with your father, you should have a plan with your mother as to steps to be taken, such as calling 911.

I would suggest that your mother contact a family law attorney and get a 30 minute free consultation. it is important that she take steps NOW.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Pierce is licensed to practice law in Washing with an office in Seattle and services clients in all parts of Washington. He can be reached at 206-587-3757 or at the email address at piercefamilylaw.com Mr. Pierce is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Washington law. This response is only in the form of legal education and is intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Pierce strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

Your mother can file a petition to terminate his visitation rights or to ask that his visitation be supervised based on his abusive behavior. Your mother will need to go see an attorney to start that process. If your mother is unwilling or unable to do this, then you may want to discuss the issue with your school counselor. Depending on the circumstances, the school counselor may make a report to the police for them to investigate the abuse.

If you are ever in a situation where you are being physically abused, call 911 right away.

Good luck to you.

Child custody topics