Skip to main content

Im 14 and my boyfriend is 17. I am pregnant. If the police get involoved will he go to jail?

Barnstable, MA |

My boyfriend in 17.. got a job.. can drive.. got a house.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Quite possibly. It's also possible that he could be placed on the Sex Offender Registry and have all sorts of opportunities taken away from him for the rest of his life.

    If he is really a good guy and not just some sleaze who prays on innocent young women, you need to do whatever you can to prevent him from becoming identified as a child rapist. That is what the law considers someone who has sexual intercourse with a person under 16 years of age. It is called rape because the law says that people under 16 are legally incapable of consenting to sexual contact. Therefore, no matter how much you love him and wanted to have sex, it legally doesn't matter.

    You and your fetus need prenatal care. If you are not sure whether you want to be a mother yet, you should get confidential family planning counseling to figure out your options.

    If you decide to keep your baby and you don't ever need public assistance, you might be able to keep the baby's father's identity private. But, if concerned adults in your life know who your boyfriend is and there is probable cause to believe he is the one who got you pregnant, he could be arrested even if you do not officially tell.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

  2. That is a distinct possibility. No one can say for certain, but it is likely. If he is contacted he should say nothing to the authorities and hire counsel.

    This is not intended as individual legal advice and there is no attorney client relationship established by this answer. It is advisable that you seek individualized legal assistance. This is not a substitute for hiring an attorney.

  3. Your boyfriend has apparently committed statutory rape. That he " got a job.. can drive" is irrelevant; it strains credulity to think a minor has "got a house."

    What he DOES have is a significant legal problem: Criminal charges for having sex with, and impregnating, a minor.

    You would be better off discussing this with your parents and not posting details on a public forum. He would be better off discussing his situation with his parents and an attorney. The MA and Barnstable County bar associations can provide referrals.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  4. It is called statutory rape and is a serious charge. Age of consent in MA is 16.

    This is not intended as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Very likely. This is considered "rape of a child." If convicted, he's looking at a maximum sentence of life in prison. It's unlikely he'd be facing the maximum, but he'd become a registered sex offender and convicted felon. If you are worried about this, stop posting details online. Speak to an attorney directly.

  6. You're 14 and pregnant. Stop worrying about your boyfriend and think about what YOU need.

    Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am a Massachusetts lawyer. Any information provided on this site does not, except as explicitly stated, imply familiarity with laws or procedures peculiar to your state which may differ from those where I practice.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics