Skip to main content

Im 14 and been living house to house with friends scene i was 12 how do i emancipate myself?

Fresno, CA |

i stil talk to my mom sometimes my dads in prison the family i live with are great and supportive im getting back on track in school i missed a whole semester waiting for my mom to register me the family i live with support me financially but id like to help in anyway possible my mom refuses to sign over guardianship i play sports and need doc.appts. to be made i can't be held up by my mom what can i do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Ok but aside from this legal question, whats going on now? How are you doing?

The answers on this discussion board are general in nature and NOT intended as legal advice. Responding to questions does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Always see a lawyer about your individual situation.


At your age, your feelings on the matter are very important. You should contact a family attorney in your area and discuss your options. The attorney will likely give you a free consultation given that you are a minor and can't sign a retainer agreement. If you need even further help, contact your local legal aid association.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC. Phone: 888-540-4529 Website: Atlanta, Marietta, Lawrencevile, Duluth, Alpharetta, Buckhead The above answer is for general information purposes and is offered as a service to the public. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, reviews or other communications, including the above post, should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation or relied upon as a substitute for engaging legal counsel, nor does it constitute advertising or a solicitation. Viewing the general information here, including your receipt or transmission of information hereof does not alone create or constitute an attorney-client relationship or ensure confidentiality. Please contact 770-309-9551 for additional questions or to schedule for your free phone consultation. If this question or answer pertains to bankruptcy, please be advised that we are a federal debt relief agency. One of our areas of practice is to help people file for bankruptcy relief and protection under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.


You would not qualify for emancipation with those facts, but an adult member of the family with whom you are staying could file a Guardianship case to become your Guardian. If an adult member of that family is willing to do so, he/she should consult a Probate Attorney, since Guardianship matters take place in Probate Court.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer