Illegal immigrant pulled over for bad headlight and given court date for expired licence

Asked almost 3 years ago - Plant City, FL

He has no prior encounters with the police and is in process of becoming a legal resident. He got a ticket for the bad headlight and a court date but wasn't arrested. My question is what could happen to him and is there any possibility that this will affect him when it comes to becoming a legal resident?

1. Aaron J. Slavin

1

Answered . I agree with the previous attorney. My Office handles criminal and traffic matters such as this. We also consult with an experienced, local immigration attorney that can advise him on any potential consequences as it pertains to deportation and/or becoming a legal resident.

Feel free to contact my Office with any questions or to set up a free consultation.

Good luck,

Aaron J. Slavin, Esq.
    SLAVIN LAW FIRM, LLC
    4707 140th Avenue North, Suite 211
    Clearwater, Florida 33762
    727.474.3785
    1.877.HIRE.SLF
    aaron@slavinlawfirm.com

2. C. C. Abbott

Answered . It is very unlikely that he will be detained and placed in a ICE hold are traffic court arraignment. If he is in the process of becoming a legal resident he will have to inform USCIS upon inquiry of any citations, arrests, charges, etc he has received. I am surprised that he was not also charged with driving without a license which is a misdemeanor. If the traffic court is in Plant City the prosecution will be a LEO. I would suggest he contact an experienced immigration attorney to review the facts of his case and provide a legal opinion.

3. Jeffrey David Boston

Pro

Answered . The consensus is that there are at least 12,000,000 illegal aliens in the United States of America at this time. Likely, there are millions more. Millions of those illegal aliens are driving around without a license. When caught with No License or stopped for a traffic infraction, they plea, get a withhold of adjudication, and typically the same thing happens everytime: slaps on the wrist.

If an illegal alien commits a crime like DUI or a non-traffic related crime, or especially a felony, that is when it is reasonable to be concerned about being denied a green card and also being deported.

The illegal alien who wants to become a legal resident with a green card and eventually a citizen of our country needs to have "good moral character." All is relative.