ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT married to US CITIZEN, child involved?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

I am an overstay with a tourist visa (Visa Type R Class B1 / B2). I've been here since I was 11, I am now 22 years old. My husband and I have been married since Jan. 28, 2010. We haven't been able to file anything due to financial issues. We had our daughter on Apr. 3, 2011. She's approaching 2 years old pretty soon and I would like to file for AOS now so I can help my husband save money for our future. How do I go about filing, which forms, and will having a daughter together interfere with my status adjustment? Thank you in advance.

1. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . You may file Form I-130 along with Form I-485 and I-765. You can adjust status in the U.S. since you were inspected when entered the country. Having a child will not interfere with your plans. You may want to consult an experienced immigration lawyer for guidance.

2. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

5

1

Answered . Your daughter will help your application. The forms are available on the USCIS website. If too confusing, meet with an attorney who can properly guide you through this process.

3. Haroen Calehr

Pro

5

1

Answered . If you cannot afford an attorney, you should consult a competent immigration attorney, preferably AILA member, and at a minimum have them walk you through the types of documentary proof you want to attach to the various forms already delineated by the other counsel. Go to www.uscis.gov and click on forms and go to the various forms as suggested and carefully read the instructions on each form. Your daughter is a asset to your case. Think about it logically, if your marriage was a sham and not legit and your paying your husband money under the table to help you apply for a green card, would you be having a daughter together?! Good luck.

4. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

3

1

Answered . Having a child will not hurt your chances of being approved for permanent residency. However, with a larger size household to support, more income is required for the affidavit of support. You may need a joint sponsor or two.