Skip to main content

Illegal Alien obtaining child support

Chicago, IL |

I am in the country illegally, but owed child support from ex-husband. Will I be able to contest in court? Or will me alien status hurt me?

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Absolutely. GO for it. Your legal status has nothing to do with it.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  2. You should have no trouble claiming child support in court.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

  3. As the immigration attorneys have already said, this is a non-issue as far as the domestic relations court is concerned.

    If you want to learn more about getting into court for child support, here is a self help link (below). If you need more information, or would like an attorney, there are plenty of attorneys listed on this site.

    This information on this post is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

  4. I agree with my colleagues.

    Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  5. Status is only a factor for custody, and often times, a limited factor at that. Contact HFS or a family law attorney in your area for specific guidance.

  6. Besides obtaining child support, consult with an immigration attorney and see if you may get legal status by either a VAWA or a U-Visa. This should be done in person and not on a public forum like internet.


    Khaja M. Din, Esq.
    Din Law, LLC
    (312) 361-8462

    Free Initial Consult For All Your Immigration Questions