Illegal after long stay legal

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Hi I came on work visa in 1998. I was in US till 2010. I left the country and came back on visitor visa in 2012. My brother applied for my I 130 under sibling category then. I never left the country since 2012 and I am illegal now for more than 180 days.

The current immigration reform bill considers people who filed before 2011 to be pardoned after a lengthy process. I stayed legally for 10 years and went out of the country and came in legally and became illegal in 2012. Will I qualify for the pardon?

1. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

12

Answered . No one can answer your question unless and until an immigration reform bill is actually passed by Congress and signed by the President. I would advise you to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney to discuss options available to you.

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

9

Answered . No. Not if you left and returned after the cut off date.

3. Shahzad Ahmed

9

Answered . The legalization program has not been enacted yet. It is a proposed bill that is going through debates. We will have to see if you qualify based upon the final law, if it is enacted.

4. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

9

Answered . No one can answer that question. There is no new immigration law and there is uncertainty as to whether there will be. One can only speculate.

5. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

9

Answered . The reform bill is not finalized yet. You have to wait to see what the final details are when and if it is passed.

6. Stefanie Y Parchment

5

Answered . There's no new law yet so there's no way to know if you would qualify for the pardon. Either way, the proposed bill suggests a cut-off date of entry as Dec. 31, 2011, but again, this is still indefinite. Since you are here without status just try to lay low until you get a response for your petition. You can check the status of your application here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/CaseStatu....