IL-Missing signatures on paperwork. Was our mobile home purchase legit?

Chicago, IL |

Only 2 forms of the entire closing package were signed by the salesman: Confirmation of Home Closing and Loan Funding Form (so he could get his comission) and the Serial Number Verification Form (which wasn't physically verified). None of the other paperwork is signed, witnessed, or notarized where indicated. The Purchase Agreement says "Not Valid Unless Signed and Accepted by an Officer of the Company or an Authorized Agent." The (Approved) signature line is blank. Even on the 2 forms the salesman did sign, the signature lines for the Property Manager and Witness are blank; also documents stating to were not notarized.
Was this purchase done properly with all the missing signatures on documents? Can we do anything to void the contract and get out of the purchase?

We do not have the benefit of the paperwork here. You should take your documents to an attorney and get an opinion.

Thank you for your answer. Are you able to tell me what kind of attorney I should look for? It was the purchase of a mobile home, but was purchased under a "retail installment agreement" so I don't know if a real estate attorney is where I should go or if I should go to someone with a different practice specialty. Thanks again.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

A mobile home is not considered real estate. You need an attorney who handles personal property matters.

Thank you.

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

You are welcome.

That is unlikely to work. They likely signed their copies or will sign as soon as you point out the missing signatures. And, they will testify they agree to it. Their signature is needed for you to ENFORCE the agreement against them not to ENFORCE it against you. You can be sure if they present the documents to a Court, they WILL be signed.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Thank you for your answer. I thought since the Purchase Agreement is a carbon copy form in which we received a copy that was not signed by anyone from the Park and it explicitly says "Not Valid Unless Signed and Accepted by an Officer of the Company or an Authorized Agent" that the sale would be considered invalid. Also, I would have thought we should have the same copies of everything. What would keep them from adding other things after the fact? Thanks again.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Your copy and the forgery laws should keep them from doing that. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Illinois_criminal_law_for_forgery