IJ granted me asylum and i get i-94 and ssn but ice appealed what will happen

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

IJ granted me asylum and i get i-94 and ssn but ice appealed so what will happen i told to my attorney what is next

1. Mark Robert Barr

4

Answered . If you won asylum in immigration court, and the government appealed, then the asylum grant is not final. I'm surprised you got an I-94 showing asylee status. Did you mean that you won asylum before the IJ, but the government later filed a motionto reopen?

If it is a government appeal, then you and your attorney will have a chance to write a legal brief challenging the government's reasons for arguing that the IJ decision should be reversed. But she is the one that should be telling you all this. Please, go ask your attorney these questions--that is what she is there for.

Best of luck.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . I agree, The grant is not final and it would be very wise to respond to whatever brief/motion the government has filed. Do not leave it be.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . It depends on whether the government is successful or not.