Skip to main content

Ihave an order of protection against my husband for physical domestic violence

Port Jefferson Station, NY |

He is only allowed to contact me concerning my daughter and now he tells me he is moving into my apartment complex. I do not want to have to live in fear wondering where he is going to pop up and if he is going to stalk me again. Is there any way i can prevent him from moving near me. Or am i going to have to move?

Attorney Answers 2


It sounds as if your Order of Protection has a full stay away provision. If so, I would immediately take it to the landlord and give it to the landlord stating that they would be breaking a Court Order by permitting him to move into the complex. You also could violate your Husband in the Court for breaking the Court Order. This is a very serious matter as it is alarming that he choosing to move into your complex of all places. You should not wait and seek legal advice immediately.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


File an order to show cause in Family Court so s judge can decide whether to allow it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics