If youve worked 3 years for a company and been paid state minimum wage of $7.25 what should you do?

Asked 4 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

because thats not enough money to suvive world.ive tried everything and they're still telling $7.25 is the minimum wage i can show pay stubs if needed.

1. Alexander Granovsky

4

Answered . This is an easy one: LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB!

The law sets limits on what employers can do. The law sets a minimum wage, this is the least that an employer may legally pay its employees. But the law is also that you are an employee at will, which means you can quit at any time for good reason, bad reason or no reason at all. One very good reason would be that you found a better, higher paying job. No get out there and find one!

2. Rocco Ernest Cozza

Pro

2

Answered . Unfortunately, your employer has no obligation to pay you more than the minimum wage. They also have no obligation to give wage increases.

3. Rochelle S. Rabin

Answered . No, it's not enough to live on. That's why many people want to raise the minimum wage. Unfortunately, if your employer is not willing to reward a 3-year employee with a raise, you can't do much about it other than look for another job or find a 2nd job to supplement your income. If there's nothing else that you qualify for, you might want to see if you qualify for assistance to train for another career. Talk to your state representative about programs. Also, talk to him or her about the bill that Tina Tartaglione proposed in March to raise the minimum wage in PA to $10.10 over the next 2 years. Just know that Governor Corbett is on record as being against raising the minimum wage in Pennsylvania, so you might want to start getting involved in politics as there's an election coming up in November.

But, really, continuing your education or training may be your best bet. It makes you more valuable to employers. Plus, once you learn something it's yours and nobody can ever take that away from you. Good luck to you.

4. Mark Copoulos

Pro

Answered . You should leave your job and open a business.