If youve worked 3 years for a company and been paid state minimum wage of $7.25 what should you do?

Philadelphia, PA |

because thats not enough money to suvive world.ive tried everything and they're still telling $7.25 is the minimum wage i can show pay stubs if needed.

This is an easy one: LOOK FOR ANOTHER JOB!

The law sets limits on what employers can do. The law sets a minimum wage, this is the least that an employer may legally pay its employees. But the law is also that you are an employee at will, which means you can quit at any time for good reason, bad reason or no reason at all. One very good reason would be that you found a better, higher paying job. No get out there and find one!

No, it's not enough to live on. That's why many people want to raise the minimum wage. Unfortunately, if your employer is not willing to reward a 3-year employee with a raise, you can't do much about it other than look for another job or find a 2nd job to supplement your income. If there's nothing else that you qualify for, you might want to see if you qualify for assistance to train for another career. Talk to your state representative about programs. Also, talk to him or her about the bill that Tina Tartaglione proposed in March to raise the minimum wage in PA to $10.10 over the next 2 years. Just know that Governor Corbett is on record as being against raising the minimum wage in Pennsylvania, so you might want to start getting involved in politics as there's an election coming up in November.

But, really, continuing your education or training may be your best bet. It makes you more valuable to employers. Plus, once you learn something it's yours and nobody can ever take that away from you. Good luck to you.

If my answer was helpful to you, I would appreciate if you would mark it either "helpful" or "best answer" if you feel that applies, as AVVO gives us rating points based on feedback. Thank you! Please note that the above answer is not to be construed as legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on your question, and it was given without obtaining the detailed information that I would normally request in order to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with a local attorney of your choosing to obtain specific legal advice. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.

Unfortunately, your employer has no obligation to pay you more than the minimum wage. They also have no obligation to give wage increases.

Please note that the above answer is not intended to be legal advice. It is my personal opinion based on the information you have provided without obtaining a complete view of the facts as I would to render comprehensive legal advice. I advise you to consult with an attorney experienced in this practice area. The fact that I answered your question does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me.

You should leave your job and open a business.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The response is intended, but not promised or guaranteed to be current, complete, or up-to-date. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between Mark D. Copoulos, Esquire and any party. The responses provided on this website are offered only for general informational and educational purposes. They are not offered as and do not constitute legal advice or legal opinions. You should not act or rely on any information contained in these responses without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Business topics