IF your spouse responds past the deadline, can she still go after my pension?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Fresno, CA

My spouse verbally told me she didn't want my pension. She was served on 4/5 with the Summons & Petition. On 5/6 some people handed my son papers and said they were from her. The Response states she now wants my pension and spousal support. I am permanently disabled and have no income. I gave her all the household furnishings, a pickup and will sign over the house to her. Now she is refusing to sign the Settlement Agreement. I haven't signed over anything yet. She hasn't filed the response with the court and I actually didn't receive the papers, they were given to my son. Is this a legal filing?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First, your spouses verbal agreement is not binding. Second, for a Response to be a legal filing, it has to be accepted by the court and a file endorsement stamp must be on the form. Sometimes people serve responses without the endorsement. It does not mean it was not filed. You can check your courts web site to see if it was filed or you can go to the courthouse and check the file. Even it if was one or two days late, the court will most likely not consider that a problem. As far as whether or not the Response was properly served by handing it to your son, that depends. If you were avoiding service, then it is possible to serve another adult in the household. You have not provided enough facts but, again, in general, it does not matter. If it was filed, and you are aware it was filed, and you received a copy of it, your case will likely now move through the system. Judges let people who represent themselves get away with a lot of small rule violations. You may want to have a face to face consultation with an experienced family law attorney to educate yourself on what will happen or is likely to happen and what you can do to protect yourself. Do not sign anything without reviewing it with an experienced attorney. Even if you have to pay a consultation fee, that fee should pay many dividends in the future.

    Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees,... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Schwerin and would encourage you to consult with an experienced divorce attorney sooner rather than later to ensure any agreement you reach will meet your needs. Good luck.

  3. Answered . MY colleagues have provided you with sound information. At this point, you would be prudent to consult with a local family law attorney for an in depth review of your situation. You can find referrals through the Avvo Find a Lawyer tool or your local bar association.

    ** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Retirement benefits and pensions

A pension is a fixed sum, typically paid monthly, given to an employee upon his or her retirement. Pensions are managed and invested by the employer.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now