If your license is suspended by a court does the dmvs have to notify you.

Asked about 1 year ago - Forsyth, GA

I was pulled pver and arrested when i didnt know my license was suspended.

Additional information

Does the court have to prove i knew my license was suspended to convict me of driving on suspended license?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Not anymore. They used to have to notify for missing court, but no longer. If it was suspended from a DUI or possession of marijuana charge they don't have to notify you either.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more
  2. Daniel Ray Partain

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The State does not have to show that you actually "knew" that your license was suspended. All they have to show is a form of notice to you that your license was suspended. Some charges, such as a DUI or a drug related offense causes your license to be suspended by operation of law, and that imparts "constructive" notice onto you. You need to hire an attorney to help you through this case.

    I am not your attorney nor is there an attorney-client relationship, even though I have answered your question... more
  3. Jack Ira Klein


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . As the others have so stated.

    You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to... more
  4. George F. Mccranie IV


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . The state has to show that you received "notice" that your license was suspended. This could be a form that you signed in court or a written notice that was sent to your address. Certain reasons for a license suspension don't require actual notice because the suspension happens as an operation of law. Examples of this type of suspension are - misdemeanor Marijuana or DUI convictions. Your question does not give the underlying reason that your license was suspended. I would advise you to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.
    Good Luck!!! George McCranie www.mccranielaw@hotmail.com

    The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,111 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,111 answers this week

2,816 attorneys answering