If your license is suspended by a court does the dmvs have to notify you.

Forsyth, GA |

I was pulled pver and arrested when i didnt know my license was suspended.

Does the court have to prove i knew my license was suspended to convict me of driving on suspended license?

Not anymore. They used to have to notify for missing court, but no longer. If it was suspended from a DUI or possession of marijuana charge they don't have to notify you either.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

The State does not have to show that you actually "knew" that your license was suspended. All they have to show is a form of notice to you that your license was suspended. Some charges, such as a DUI or a drug related offense causes your license to be suspended by operation of law, and that imparts "constructive" notice onto you. You need to hire an attorney to help you through this case.

I am not your attorney nor is there an attorney-client relationship, even though I have answered your question here on

As the others have so stated.

You should consult an Attorney that handles Traffic cases in the jurisdiction you received the citation to evaluate your options.

The state has to show that you received "notice" that your license was suspended. This could be a form that you signed in court or a written notice that was sent to your address. Certain reasons for a license suspension don't require actual notice because the suspension happens as an operation of law. Examples of this type of suspension are - misdemeanor Marijuana or DUI convictions. Your question does not give the underlying reason that your license was suspended. I would advise you to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.
Good Luck!!! George McCranie

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

Traffic tickets topics

Recommended articles about Traffic tickets