If your license is suspended by a court does the dmvs have to notify you.

Asked 9 months ago - Forsyth, GA

I was pulled pver and arrested when i didnt know my license was suspended.

Does the court have to prove i knew my license was suspended to convict me of driving on suspended license?

1. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

Pro

3

Answered . Not anymore. They used to have to notify for missing court, but no longer. If it was suspended from a DUI or possession of marijuana charge they don't have to notify you either.

2. Daniel Ray Partain

3

Answered . The State does not have to show that you actually "knew" that your license was suspended. All they have to show is a form of notice to you that your license was suspended. Some charges, such as a DUI or a drug related offense causes your license to be suspended by operation of law, and that imparts "constructive" notice onto you. You need to hire an attorney to help you through this case.

3. Jack Ira Klein

Pro

1

Answered . As the others have so stated.

4. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

Answered . The state has to show that you received "notice" that your license was suspended. This could be a form that you signed in court or a written notice that was sent to your address. Certain reasons for a license suspension don't require actual notice because the suspension happens as an operation of law. Examples of this type of suspension are - misdemeanor Marijuana or DUI convictions. Your question does not give the underlying reason that your license was suspended. I would advise you to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter.
    Good Luck!!! George McCranie www.mccranielaw@hotmail.com