Skip to main content

If your head hit the back glass on a truck from being rear ended, can you claim ringing in your ears?

Memphis, TN |

head hit back glass
ears ringing every since
i have seen doctor and it is, as if, this is something i can not prove

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Best answer

    I am sorry for your injury. This process can certainly be frustrating and confusing, which only makes matters worse. As an initial observation, you should know that you are entitled under TN law to recover for any and all damages that are caused by the accident, provided there is medical proof to connect the injuries to the accident. That means that in order to recover damages for the ringing in your ears, you and/or your lawyer would ultimately need a medical doctor to opine for the record that he/she believes the ringing in your ears was more likely than not caused by the accident. Assuming it can indeed be linked to the accident, securing this type of medical proof is standard operating procedure for attorneys in Tennessee since it is required in virtually every serious injury case.

    At this point, the issue you face is simply getting to a doctor who is actually qualified to diagnosis and treat the ringing in your ears -- which is, in fact, a REAL medical phenomenon. This would most likely be an ENT doctor (Ear, Nose & Throat specialist) as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread.

    The bottom-line: your health is the most important thing, so get to a doctor who is best qualified to treat your injury. Hopefully, with proper treatment, your symptoms can be alleviated. In the event your injuries are significant enough, though, getting the right medical treatment will help insure that any legal claim you may have down the road will be supported by appropriate medical proof. You should speak to a lawyer at some point about your options, keeping in mind that Tennessee has one of the shortest statutes of limitation (i.e. deadlines) for filing legal claims in the country. Indeed, generally speaking, you have only 1 year from the date of injury to pursue a claim.

    Good luck.

    Disclaimer: General information provided online is not meant to be specific legal advice, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. We welcome and encourage you to contact us in the event you would like to learn more about our firm or attorneys; however, please understand that you are only considered to be a client of our firm after you have received and executed a written retainer agreement. After that time, we may exchange information freely and confidentially. You may call us at 901-372-5003, or visit our injury website at for more information.

  2. Yes. Go see neurologist and a personal injury attorney.

    Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  3. An ENT is who you need to see. I have a case similar to yours at the moment and an ENT was able to prove the ringing/injuries.

    You should consult an attorney immediately. This information provided does not create an attorney/client relationship and you should seek legal counsel immediately, as there are certain deadlines in your case.

  4. If you can get a doctor to diagnose it and attribute it to the accident. I agree about seeing the ENT and possibly a neurologist. If you have a attorney get a game plan with them on how to get this treated and documented. If you do not, I highly suggest getting a personal injury lawyer to represent you.

  5. Definitely pursue it with the right doctors (ENT and neurologist), not just for your own health, but because you will have to prove it for you to have any compensable damages worth pursuing. Good luck.

    * Please note that I am an Attorney practicing in Georgia, but I am not your attorney. This post is intended to provide some helpful insight into your particular situation, but it should not be taken as legal advice. If you would like to discuss your Georgia Personal Injury, Medical Malpractice, or Criminal case, I am happy to discuss your specific situation with you at no cost to you. I can be reached at 404-996-5157 or If you found this Answer "Helpful" or " The Best Answer", please click the tab indicating that. Thank you!

  6. See an ENT.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  7. It is called tinnitus, and can be caused by trauma.

  8. See an ENT and consult a personal injury attorney ASAP.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  9. I agree with the prior attorneys. It sounds like you have tinnitus. An Otolaryngologist (also known as an ear, nose and throat doctor) may be able to diagnose it and connect it to your accident. You should speak with a personal injury/car accident lawyer as soon as possible as the longer you wait to retain representation and get proper medical treatment the more difficult it will become to connect the tinnitus to you auto accident.

    Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship. I provide this service for educational purposes only. I will take no action on your behalf unless you have hired me and a written retainer agreement is signed. I am licensed only in Tennessee and I strongly suggest you consult with an attorney in your city and state as Statute of Limitation deadlines can limit your recovery.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics