If your bankruptcy has been filed can u be arrested for a car that the creditor doesn't want to take back?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

i am moving back to GA for employment and the creditor put a warrent out last year for a car they refused to come and get and bankruptcy has been filed already so I need to know do I have any rights?

1. Derek R. Caldwell

Pro

3

Answered . In most circumstances one cannot be arrested for a past due debt. What kind of warrant was issued? What did they allege you did that violated a criminal law? Bankruptcy does not stop criminal prosecutions so if there is a pending criminal charge against you, then the bankruptcy will not stop the police from arresting you.

2. Gary D. Bollinger

2

Answered . I doubt if GA would extradite you to FL for this warrant.

3. Mohammad Ahmed Faruqui

Answered . Was there really a "warrant" out for your arrest or did the debt collector illegally say to you that there is a warrant out for your arrest? If the latter is the case, then the debt collector may have violated the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and/or the Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act. Unfortunately, your question makes it very unclear what is really going on.

4. Ashley Anne Digiulio

Pro

Answered . You need to talk to an attorney.

The DiGiulio Law Firm, LLC.
    www.atl-law.com
    770-309-9551