If youhave a conflict of interest with your public defender can you have another appointed?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Homosassa Springs, FL

i don't feel my public defender is looking out for my best interest

1. Bryce Aric Fetter

9

Answered . Yes, but the judge has to have a hearing on the record first. If the judge finds a conflict then you are entitled to a different court appointed attorney.

2. Mark Nickolas Longwell

Pro

8

Answered . Yes. If your PD has a conflict, the whole office has one. A conflict attorney may be appointed. Keep in mind that a conflict of interest is a specific scenario and not simply disharmony between you and your attorney. Regardless, you do have the right to an attorney of your choosing. You should consider consulting with a reputable pirate attorney if there is any way for you to afford a reasonable fee. Good luck.

This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  3. Lori Doganiero Palmieri

Pro

8

Answered . That is a common complaint, but you have to have something more concrete than you don't think he is working in your best interest. The court will hold a hearing and determine if your concerns warrant a change of counsel.

4. David Richard Damore

Pro

7

Answered . A feeling does not a conflict make.

5. Barry Franklin Poulson

7

Answered . A conflict of interest would be if your attorney also represented another defendant in your case or was representing your wife in a divorce while defending you on these charges. Disagreement is not "conflict of interest." You are always free to hire your own defense attorney. You can ask to have another appointed. Rarely done.