If you were to violate misdemeanor probation in New York State and flee, what are the statute of limitations on a violation?

Elmira, NY |

Violate misdemeanor probation on endangering welfare of a child and contempt

1. There is no statute of limitations for violating probation. So long as you are under their jurisdiction (meaning on probation) they can file specifications against you. Once probation has been terminated, one way or another, they will no longer be able to violate you.

2. There is no statute of limitations for a violation of probation when there is flight and a bench warrant is issued. The only issues with the statute of limitations could potentially be if/when you were picked up on a different charge under the same name and the warrant was not executed.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. There is none if you voluntarily fled the jurisdictional.

Richard Southard
    212-385-8600
    I am a former Deputy Bureau Chief with the Kings County DA’s Office with over 15 years experience specializing in criminal law cases. I offer free in-person, phone and video consultations.

All answers are for information purposes only. Answering this question or any future questions does not form any attorney-client relationship. Be mindful, that answers are limited by the limited facts presented by the questioner and are not meant to take the place of competent legal advice by an attorney fully informed of all the facts surrounding your case. However, be aware that nothing posted in a public forum such as this can be deemed confidential or privileged communication. For a privileged private consultation, contact me at 212-385-8600 or via my website www.reasonabledoubtny.com