If you were charged with smash and grab burglary in the state of Georgia, and you are on probation in Fl. What will happen?

Asked 11 months ago - Waycross, GA

If you hire a lawyer what exactly will that be able too assist you with?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kathleen Willcox Williams

    Contributor Level 6


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If the Florida probation officer becomes aware of the new charges, for example because the accused cannot report because he or she is in jail, then the probation officer will probably place a "hold" on the accused to prevent their release from jail and seek to have the accused's probation revoked because of the new arrest/offense. It's a little more complicated than just that, but the bottom line is often being stuck in jail until each part is worked out.

    It looks like you have a number of questions about your situation; I strongly recommend that you speak to an experienced criminal defense lawyer local to the area where the charges are pending as soon as possible. There are serious charges, and you are right to take them seriously.

    Best wishes, Kathleen Willcox Williams Attorney at Law 512 G Street Brunswick, Georgia 31520 (912) 275-... more
  2. Bert W. Cohen


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . If your Florida probation officer finds out, you have a high risk of being arrested in Georgia and then extradited to Florida. The Florida judge will want to hear all about your Georgia arrest. If the prosecutor in Florida can prove that you violated your Florida probation by committing a new crime, you have a high risk of being sentenced to prison in Florida, in addition to whatever Georgia may do to you. You need to hire a lawyer.

  3. Jeffrey Edward Johnston


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . There is the potential that your probation in Florida will be revoked.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now