If you stay in an apartment for a certain amount of time, will you just not get the deposit back?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Seattle, WA

I tend to rent place for three years at a time, minimum, and have never gotten a deposit back. I've never had any complaints about the condition of my place, but I just never get any deposit back. Is this because I stay too long?


Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Read your lease/rental agreement over carefully. There should not be any loss because of the amount of time you stayed in an apartment. If the deposit was a cleaning deposit, you may not be entitled to a return. Your landlord must account to you within 14 days of you vacating the apartment/house. Check with the Seattle Tenant's union

    The advice given is general for information purposes only and should not be relied on. You should consult with an... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with the previous poster, the length of time that you rent a place should have no effect upon whether you receive your deposit back. RCW 59.18.260 - .280 details why a deposit could be kept by the landlord. It also details when they landlord must return it to you or provide a statement why it is not being returned to you.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed to establish an attorney client... more
  3. Answered . Deposits come in two varieties: the security deposit and the damage deposit. A security deposit is supposed to secure all your obligations, a damage deposit is more specifically geared towards the condition when you move out. If you have not received notice that a landlord was planning to keep your deposit with a detailed explanation of why, then there is no basis for any landlord to keep your deposit.

    The statute of limitations to sue on a written contract is six years. If you did not get your deposit back and there was no reason for it to be withheld, consider small claims, and be sure to ask for twice your deposit. The rules are at RCW 59.18.260, 270 and 280.

    Hope this helps. Elizabeth Powell

    Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Avvo advisor logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 15-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $39 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Advisor span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now