If you slapped your 19 year old daughter and she called the police can you be arrested for domestic violence?

Ridgeland, MS |

Daughter and father arguing about washing the dishes daughter starts to complain,fuss,loud talks and states I hate you and gets in the dad face and continue to fuss and dad slaps the girl. She leaves the house and calls the police. Police arrives at the home and after talking with the dad ask the 19 year old daughter if she wants to press charges and she says yea and they arrest the dad.

1. Under general principles of law, you are describing battery, which is a harmful and offensive contact with another. States typically have a criminal statute setting forth an offense called domestic assault or domestic violence. I did a quick search for the Mississippi statutes dealing with this and I have provided the link below, for informational purposes.

Not legal advice as I don't practice law in Mississippi. It's just my two cents on the facts you describe in light of general principles of law. If you need legal advice, and I THINK YOU DO NEED LEGAL ADVICE, please consult a lawyer who holds Mississippi licensure, not me.

2. Yes

This reply is provided for information purposes only and does not represent legal advice or an attorney-client relationship.

Domestic violence topics