If you sign yourself into a mental hospital for care, can you sign yourself out without a problem?

Asked over 2 years ago - Scottsdale, AZ

After a suicide attempt, with no criminal history or problems, can I sign myself into a mental hospital and then also sign myself back out of it or can they keep me there against my will? They said if I don't sign myself in, they'll make me go so I want to go voluntarily but I want to be sure I can sign myself back out without a problem. I live in Scottsdale, Arizona and the hospital would be there. Thank you very much for any help or guidance you can give me.

1. John P Ager

Best Answer

Answered . Please, please, please get help if you feel you need it. You can be held against your will, but only with a court order and only if the court determines you are a significant danger to yourself or others. I am not sure who the "they" is in your question, but there are different categories of people who can seek to have you admitted for treatment against your will. The voluntary nature of your admission may not have much affect on future decisons to discharge you from treatment.

2. John P Ager