If you share an undivided 50 % ownership on real estate in CA can you quit calim to someone else instead of the other person?

my sister & I own 50 % undivided interest on real estate . She says I have to sell or quit claim to her before quitclaiming to my older sister that is not an owner.

San Diego, CA -

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Real Estate Attorney - San Marino, CA

Yes, you can quitclaim to anyone you want.

What is your ultimate goal?

Lee Willis Harwell Jr

Lee Willis Harwell Jr

Real Estate Attorney - Torrance, CA

Real property interests are freely transferrable. No property law says that you must only quitclaim to the other owner. There often a contract or agreement between the multiple owners to give them the first right of refusal, etc. However, even if you have an agreement or contract limiting your choices of who to transfer title to an actual transfer will still be valid even if it is in breach of the contract.

On the other hand I rarely see a full value sale of only a portion of a title. I rarely see a third party willingly buy a 50% interest in property where the other 50% holder opposes the sale. I would check to make sure your older sister want to buy into that headache.

Michelle A. Perfili

Michelle A. Perfili

Real Estate Attorney - Lakeside, CA

The law promotes the "free alienability" or right to transfer an interest in real estate. A partial interest is an interest no less so you can transfer it to any third party. I am curious that you said one sister said you had to transfer it to her before transfering to another sister. There are costs involved in multiple transfers and other possible consequences. It seems that your co-owner sister may have some idea about the property (or the reason she wants to do a transfer to her and then a transfer to the other sister). I see no tax or other advantage to doing so perhaps you should simply ask the co-owner why she is suggesting this scenario. If the explanation does not make sense, I have attached a link to the San Diego county Assesor/Recorder/County Clerk that has forms and a section for Frequently Asked Questions. If you still do not have the answer you may wish to contact a lawyer to ensure you are preserving your (and or the mutual goals of you and both your sisters).

Michael Scott Simonoff

Michael Scott Simonoff

Real Estate Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

The general answer is - you can quit claim your interest to any person you want. That being said, there are several issues.

- The value for the interest being quit claimed will normally be at a discount.

- If you have a written agreement with your younger sister, that may limit the transfer and create a breach of contract issue.

- Your Older Sister knowing the issues at hand and may know of a written agreement may be found to have unclean hands.

Without all the facts, it is tough to give a good answer. Why not transfer to your younger sister for full value?