If you say put reaffirm in your intent in banckruptcy but change your mind, what happends?

Asked over 1 year ago - Indianapolis, IN

What are you supposed to do? I changed my mind and surrendered my truck and gave the clerks off a copy of the letter from the finance place stating that. Do I need to do anything else?

Thanks

1. Matthew Scott Berkus

8

1

Answered . You could amend your statement of intention, and the court doesn't charge for such an amendment. However, doing so is not necessary. A statement of intent is just that, "intent." If you change your mind and don't carry out that intent, so be it. You didn't reaffirm the debt.

2. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

4

1

Answered . No, the statement of intention you file with your bankruptcy is virtually meaningless. If you say you intend to surrender, the lender may begin foreclosure or repossession efforts sooner rather than later. Hope this perspective helps!

3. William Asa Grafton

3

1

Answered . If you change your mind, your mind is changed. The Statement of Intentions reflects your intent at the time you filed the bankruptcy case.