If you rent out a small travel trailer that is parked on your property, are you required to install smoke detectors?

Eureka, CA |

A owner of a trailer park rented out a travel trailer that is parked in a trailer court that she owns.
A small space heater some how caught fire and caused the trailer to completely burn to the ground. The man who was renting the trailer was burned so bad that he was flown to a hospital out of the area and he later died from the injuries. In the local news paper the fire chef states that there did not appear to be any smoke alarm/detector and/or a fire extinguisher in the trailer. Is the owner of the trailer required by law to have smoke alarms/detectors installed in the trailer. Is it even legal for a park owner to rent a travel trailer to someone to live in?

Generally, any trailer in a trailer park must comply with local laws and the rules and regulations of the park. Smoke detectors are generally required in any residence, which probably includes trailers. Whether the trailer was allowed to be in your particular park would require a review of the laws and rules for your area. The injured man should consult with a local attorney. The park owners should be notifying their insurance company of the incident and the probable claim.

I think you need smoke detectors in any residence you rent by law in California.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant