If you're detained for a simple traffic violation, and already was given ticket and free to go, can they then search vehicle ?

Asked about 2 years ago - Brentwood, CA

Pulled over for no front license plate, signed off on ticket and was told to get back into vehicle and ID's would be brought back to us (driver and passengers) Then they told everyone to get back out and searched passengers and vehicle because backseat passenger was on possible probation.

1. Sarah Lynn White

5

Best Answer

Answered . If anything was found and you are being charged you need to speak with a local criminal defense attorney. If you cannot afford to hire an attorney then get the public defender appointed. Your lawyer may be able to run a suppression motion on your behalf. Do not post anymore details on here as this is a public forum, save any further details until you speak to an attorney.

2. Robert C. LeBrasseur

6

Answered . If anything was found and you are being charged with a crime you should consult with a criminal defense attorney license in California to protect your interest.

3. John M. Kaman

Pro

3

Answered . If the police thought reasonably and in good faith that someone in the car was on probation they can search the car. A suppression is still appropriate but I doubt you'll win it.

One or more answers have been taken down.
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now