If you`re convicted of a DUI do you have to take the DUI class no matter what to get your license back?

Asked over 2 years ago - Oakland, CA

I was convicted of 2 DUI`s in San Joaquin county 5 years ago when i was 19 years old. I have not been pulled over or received a driving citation since. I paid the $1500 in restitution. Would i have to take the 18 month DUI class to get my license back? Its been 5 years?

Attorney answers (7)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you will never be eligible for your California license unless and until you take the educational classes. You should go to your local office and ask them for the requirement to reinstate and with that you can get signed up for whatever program in your area.

  2. 5

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . In CA, yes the DMV requires you complete the SB38 (18 month) class in order to reinstate your license. Too bad you paid the restitution first, that is a judgment that the criminal court won't enforce. I've added a link to the list of class providers statewide. Find one in your county close to you and call them for an appointment.

    Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon... more
  3. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with all the above. Also, you may want to check if you have an outstanding warrant as the completion of the alcohol classes are routinely a condition of probation. I'm surprised you never had any issues with warrants or probation violations. Though, your probation is likely finished at this point since these occurred 5 years ago..

    However, you were only 19 at the time - were you charged with VC 23140 or 23136? Alcohol classes are generally not a condition of probation in these offenses.

  4. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, regardless of the time that has passed, you will need to sign up for the alcohol class to get your license. If you go to the DMV, you may be eligible for a provisional license, allowing you to drive to school, work, home, etc.

    Good luck!

  5. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Each DMV has its own requirements but generally yes!

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a... more
  6. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes. You can check with the DMV and see if you can get a provisional license once you start the classes.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- DUI/DWI/Drugged Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison Wisconsin

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more
  7. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes.

Related Topics


The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,041 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,041 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering