If you pay the civil demand does it show up on your CORI Check? And is there anymore more further actions taken after you pay?

Asked about 2 years ago - Norwood, MA

My friend got caught stealing at a local CVS in our nighborhood. while leaving a man stop him and brought him to the back took his picture made him sign some papers and told him not to come back for 2 years. he wasnt arrested and no polce was called. he sayd that he wouldnt get anything in the mail after a month later he recieved a civil demand from a lawyrer in the mail saying he had to pay $375.00. if he dosent pay this what happenes and if he does end up paying this will this be the end of everything. Will CVS take further actions after this payment is made? and he is also a college student trying to become a nurse. wil this effect him getting a job in the hospital in the furture? will it show up on a Cori Check or anyhting. could any job find out bout this in anyway?

1. Thomas J Callahan

1

Answered . Your friend should ignore the letter. It is a legalized scam, written about much in this forum. You said no arrest, so nothing should show up on a CORI check.

2. Lauren Craig Redmond

Answered . Massachusetts General Law chapter 231 section 85R 1/2 gives merchants the right to demand a civil fine from would be shoplifters. Many states have such a law. It's the result of merchant's lobbyists getting various legislatures to allow the merchants to offset their losses to successful shoplifters by charging this fine to unsuccessful shoplifters. It is completely legal but not fair, in my opinion.

Paying the fine has no bearing on whether they will pursue criminal charges against your friend. He could pay and still get charged. If he doesn't pay the fine then the store would have to sue him to get the $375. They're not going to do that because it would cost a WHOLE LOT more to pay their lawyers to do so. In every case like this I've had, I tell my client to ignore the letter. They may have gotten one or two more, but that was it.

As for your friend's CORI, he would have to get arraigned for the charges to get onto his record. Arraignment is when he appears in court in front of a judge and he is formally charged. If that hasn't happened, he hasn't been arraigned and he has no entry on his record from this incident.

How could his job find out about this anyway? If there is no entry on his CORI he would have to tell them himself.

Give your friend some advice from me ~ stop stealing! If he got caught he isn't good at it. If he wants a decent future he shouldn't do dumb things now.