Skip to main content

If you owe money to unemployment for overpayment, will they take your federal tax return to help pay off?

Chicago, IL |

I owe money to Illinois Unemployment, will they take my federal and state tax return to pay off?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. They can directly take your state refund, but they will have to wait until you deposit the money into your account to take your federal refund.

    Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

  2. As Mr. Lively stated, they can only get to your federal refund if you deposit it into your bank account.

    THESE COMMENTS ARE NOT LEGAL ADVICE. They are provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.