If you move to different state do still have to pay spousal support

Asked over 4 years ago - Illinois

if move to different state to live

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kristy Gosteli

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Absolutely! If a court has ordered you to pay support, it doesn't matter where you live, or where you move to - that court order is valid. Failure to pay could result in you having to pay the other side's attorney's fees, and even you spending time behind bars. Judges do NOT like it when their orders are not followed, and have a number of options to make you pay. And every time you don't pay is a separate judgment, meaning a separate time they can send you to jail.

    File a motion to modify your support before you move.

  2. Theodore W. Robinson

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Yes.

  3. Stanton L. Cobb

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Yes. The constitution requires every state's courts to recognize the orders of every other state.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,600 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,600 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering