If you marry in another country, how would you get a divorce from that person here in the USA?

Arlington, TX |

If I married someone in another country, but left and settled and found someone else and want to marry that person here. How would I be able to divorce that person? Would I have to go back to the country and file for divorce there or can I do it from here. Also, I have made a career here in the US and have my house and lots of property. Would the person I am still married to be able to receive half of my earning and property if I ask for a divorce? How does the divorce procedure work when trying to do this. Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Is the person still in the other country? Or is the person here?

It does not matter that you married in another country if that person is here. File for divorce and have them served.

Texas is a community property state so any earnings and property obtained during the marriage are presumed to be half the spouse's property, too.

Yours sounds like it is going to be a complicated situation. You would be better off hiring a lawyer than trying to do it yourself.

Recommended articles about Divorce