Skip to main content

If you marry a Puerto Rico citizen, are you eligible to apply for green card !

Springfield, NJ |

was woundering will there be any issues during for green card we both live in Florida !

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Marrying a Puerto Rican national is the same as marrying a US citizen.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  2. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) Section 308 provides for noncitizen national based on birth or parentage in unincorporated outlying possessions of the United States Nationals are not citizens of the United States but may apply for naturalization under a special provision covered under INA Section 325. Nationals who are not citizens cannot vote or hold elected office. Nationals may reside and work in the United States without restrictions. Nationals are also eligible to apply for citizenship if they take up residence in a State. Consult with an attorney.

    This is not a legal advice or solicitation, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Consult with an attorney. I work for Cardinal Risk Mangement and Cardinal Intellectual Property, IP service companies, but not law firms. I also am the president of Vepachedu Educational Foundation Inc., which is a non profit educational foundation. I also write cultural and scientific compliations for the foundation. I also teach at Northwestern university as a guest lecturer. I also provide some pro-bono guidance on immigration and other issues through Indian American Bar Association. I also have a contract with Cardinal Law Group, a law firm, for IP projects. All this information is on my profile at Avvo and also at Linkedin. Any views/opinions expressed in any context are my personal views in individual capacity only, and do not represent the views and opinions of any firm, client, or anyone else, and is not sponsored or endorsed by them in any way.

  3. A Puerto Rican citizen is a citizen of the United States. Therefore as a United States citizen he can petition for his/her spouse provided that he/she can establish that the marriage was a bona fide one and that the non-USC spouse has entered the country legally and has proof of such legal entry. A final issue is that the USC/petitioning spouse will need to demonstrate that he/she can support the non USC spouse at 125% of the poverty level by filing an Affidavit of Support and supporting documents. I would seek out competent immigration counsel to file the proper documents --I-130, I-485, G-325A, I-765 and all supporting documents. Good luck!

    Debbi Klopman, ESq. 398 Bergen Street Brooklyn, NY 11217 718 622 1208 This advice was intended to be general in nature and not to be taken as a legal opinion or legal advice and was not deemed to create an attorney-client relationship

  4. Yes. Speak with an immigration lawyer for more details.

    IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics