Skip to main content

If you live on campus in college you are hit by someone, you file a report, but have no witness what can you do/ should you do?

Cedar Falls, IA |

My sister lives in a dorm a girl in another room hit her when her back was turned, she struck her back. They filed a police report, but the girl said that she threatened her, and her story is backup the girls roommate who does not get along with my sister. The school has now taken action by siding with the roommates against my sister. My sister has lost her on campus Job and has to move.

Attorney Answers 1


You already answered your own question--she filed a police report, there were no witnesses to corroborate your sister's story, so the girl was presumably not arrested, and the school believed the other girl. Without evidence, there is nothing more to do. The school presumably enforced its rules against such behavior, and it is unfortunate that for whatever reason this girl was more believable to them. You use the term plural for "roommates" so I surmise that it was your sister's word against more than one person so whomever was there besides the other girl backed the other girl up. In other words, she had witnesses on her side and your sister did not. The cops are not going to take action without evidence. If your sister has personal injury, she may want to consider suing this girl in small claims court--based on what you state, it is unlikely she has the level of injury that necessitates getting an attorney involved. If she wants the school to reconsider its punishment, she can consult an Administrative Law attorney. But you should know what matters in these circumstances is whether the school followed its own procedures in investigating and dismissing.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics