If you have two or more CMIT as legal resident, should you go forward with applying for citizenship or reapply for green card?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Olympia, WA

What if a person has two CMIT on their record within 10 years time frame and is eligible to apply for citizenship, should they do it? They had two theft misdemeanor and one was disclosed during green card application. The other one occurred after the green card and the lawyer at the time never explained the consequences. Currently, they are being advised to give up the green card and reapply through a sponsor.

Can someone be deported if they are refugees from unstable country? Is there anyway an attorney can go forth and fight for the client? They are also told not to travel outside of US for the next several years which could be extremely difficult. What are the options? Any advise could be helpful!

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to spend some time with an experienced immigration lawyer. Your case has some twists to it and it deserves more careful consideration than a message board response. I'll be in Seattle on a couple of cases in a few weeks if you'd like to make an appointment to sit and discuss your matter.

  2. Tracie Lynn Klinke


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . As my colleague states, there are several layers to your case. Obtain copies of all of the criminal records and arrests (if you can) and take them to a reputable immigration attorney for an informed opinion.
    Travel, after an arrest and conviction, is risky. Again, talk with an attorney before leaving the country.

    This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,437 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,437 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering