IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE POLICIES . CAN THE PEOPLE YOU OWE MONEY TO COLLECT THEIR MONEY?

Rocky Mount, NC |

MY FRIEND IS VERY SICK AND HAS NAMED HIS DAUGHTER ON HIS POLICYS.
WILL SHE HAVE TO PAY OFF HIS DEBTS FIRST AND RECEIVE WHAT IS LEFT.

1. Your post doesn't state what kind of policies you are referring to. Assuming you are referring to a life insurance policy to which your friend's daughter is a named beneficiary, no, as a beneficiary she takes the money directly from the insurer. Debts, etc. of the decedent (including debts arising from medical care which are covered under medical insurance policies) are usually processed for payment through probate.

This response is general legal and business analysis and not legal advice; thus, other attorneys may analyze this issue differently, particularly if there are undisclosed facts. I am licensed to practice in CA, but I am not your attorney and this response does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. Please review Item 9 of avvo.com’s terms and conditions, which is incorporated by reference as it if was reprinted here in full.

Probate topics