If you have an IRS levy against you for a comp that you worked for for their payroll taxes can the IRS take your personal injury

Springfield, OR |

If you worked for a company, as an employee only and you are not an owner, or share holder, or any control of this company and the IRS has a levy against you for that companies payroll taxes can they take your personal injury claim money

1. That's a good question to ask an accountant or CPA.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Most likely, if you deposit settlement money into an account that is owned by you, the IRS would be able to levy against it. Did you fight the IRS on the original levy? I do not understand how you were levied as strictly an employee.

3. If they know about it or stumble upon it, yes.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none, but many will offer a free consultation and a face to face meeting generally will be better, I like my clients to write a short one page history of the fact and questions they have prior to meeting with them, so nothing is forgotten.

4. Death and Taxes are the two things nobody can avoid alas.........The IRS can and likely will withdraw the money directly from your bank account.