Skip to main content

If you have agreed to leave a piece of your property on someone else's property and it is destroyed, who is liable?

Port Townsend, WA |

Are there statutes of limitation with regard to the loss of property in Washington state and if so are their means of collaterally attacking them?

If the owner of the property where one left one's property claims that your property "cannot be valued," and claims that no agreement existed, despite the fact that that person installed a sink for you to use in that part of the person's property and made verbal agreements suggesting you could use the space as well as other spaces--what would be a recommended course of action for gaining recompense for the value of your property?

If you were related to a person who was attempted to convince you that your property was effectively worthless, what course of action would be advised?

Attorney Answers 2


This is a situation where you need to weigh the costs of losing relationships against a potential law suit. Without knowing more about the property or the situation, it's difficult to tell whether you may have a suit and what kind it would be (one for which you would hire an attorney or one dealt with in small claims court). You also need to balance the cost of a lawsuit against the likelihood that this person would actually pay you if you won a judgment. I'd suggest you contact a personal injury attorney to discuss the facts. If this isn't the right kind of attorney, they'll let you know who to contact next. A phone consultation shouldn't cost anything. You can use Avvo's Find a Lawyer search tool to look for local attorneys.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with the previous answer and if the bailee standards apply it would appear the real property owner is a gratuitous bailee and has a duty of care of personal property left in their care. Plaintiffs will be able to sue for damages based on the duty of care. Often this will be normal tort damages. Plaintiff may elect also to sue for conversion, either in the replevin or trover, although these are generally considered older, common law damages.
Good Luck

Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics