If you have a trust amendment and the attorney who made up the trust also acts as the notary, Is this a conflict of interest or

Asked almost 3 years ago - San Francisco, CA

is this usual and customary practices.

1. Michael Charles Doland

13

Answered . Norarization would not be permitted if the attorney was a beneficiary. Many attorneys are also notaries for the convenience of their clients, and there is no conflict of interest in notarizing a signature on a document prepared by an attorney for the benefit of a client.

2. L Christopher Arvin

11

Answered . Clearly there is not. This is a service provided by the attorney, sounds like at no cost, as a courtesy to his client.

Attorney may also be a witness to signing of a Client's Will.

Is there something that did not get typed into the question?

3. Paul A. Smolinski

Pro

11

Answered . I guess that three strikes ......

As the previous two attorneys state there is no legal or ethical reason that the attorney can not act as a notary unless he is either named in the document as a trustee or beneficiary.

Have a nice day!

4. Charles Adam Shultz

6

Answered . It is very common in California for the drafting attorney to act as the notary of the trust and even serve as a witness to the execution of the will.

The notary's duties is to certify that the person who was supposed to sign the document actually signed the document.

5. Rachel Mary Campagna

4

Answered . There would only be a problem if the attorney was a beneficiary to the trust. Otherwise, it is a courtesy service many attorney offices offer. A notary will typically charge $10 a signature in CA.