If you have a problem with a business and your mother writes a bad review, can you be sued for the review?

Asked 6 months ago - Sun Prairie, WI

My mother went through a a lot with me (at home, she was never at the place) with a business that kept thousands of dollars (my friend's money, not my mother's) for work not performed for me. She wants to warn other clients and write a very bad review but I am concerned with this. Is she only responsible for what she writes or can my friend or I be sued for this as well? She is older and indigent with no assets. Would she be judgement proof and free to write however she pleases?

I can't control what someone writes but am I responsible because I have told her what was happening?

1. Christopher Coppola

Pro

5

1

Answered . No I don't believe a person is responsible for what someone else writes. Sounds like she would be judgment proof. Your best bet is to separate yourself from doing business with these types of persons - business not family - is what I'm referring to...

2. Michael Anthony Donlon

4

1

Answered . No liability for you or your friend. People write bad reviews all the time, it is part of doing business. Your mother is free to express her opinion; however, she cannot make false statements of fact which would harm another's reputation - that could be construed as defamation.

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . No

4. Timothy George Kerrigan

1

1

Answered . I suppose my question is what is the basis of your mother's review? Assuming it is things you told her, then it may be possible, if there are things that are untrue, that they could trail back to you or whomever provided her with the information. In that instance she would simply be publishing, or republishing the untruths.

5. Elizabeth Catherine Munro

1

1

Answered . Quite simply, no. You will not likely be sued for what someone else has written.