If you have a marriage annulled, do you still need to go through settlement as in a divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Quakertown, PA

Current , 2 year - no fault filed June 2011 . Date of separation on file per spouse is May 2011 , Actual – Dec 2010 . 28 year marriage . Ages 54 work , unskilled / 57 disabled . Three children over 30 years old . My total assets $ 296 . Her 401 ( k ) $ 152 , 000 . August 2012 , disability garnished . December 2012 , received two charges of contempt and arrears . Checked credit report and discovered $ 16 , 000 default child support . Nice move . That is all I know . I am overseas and apparently things are moving and they consider me in default . Working on statement now . I may qualify for an annulment . May send that with paperwork . If an annulment is approved , will I still need to deal with support issues and property settlement under cohabitation laws ?

1. Randi Joy Silverman

Answered . Based in the information provided, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a legal annulment. However, as Attorney Stassin indicated, you should speak to an attorney in your county to determine whether an annulment is possible.

2. Larry David Stassin

1

Answered . Laws will vary state to state, but under the facts that are stated above, an annulment is not likely. I would suggest you contact an attorney in your area for representation.

3. Judy A. Goldstein

Answered . I am not licensed in Pennsylvania, however it does not appear that you would be entitled to an annulment of your marriage. Go speak to a family law attorney near you to discuss your matter in more detail. It is likely you will need to file for divorce.

4. Liwu Hong

Answered . it is unlikely that that you would be entitled to an annulment of your marriage. Consult with a local matrimonial attorney. It is likely you will need to file for divorce and deal with supporting and property distribution issues.