If you have a marriage annulled, do you still need to go through settlement as in a divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Quakertown, PA

Current , 2 year - no fault filed June 2011 . Date of separation on file per spouse is May 2011 , Actual – Dec 2010 . 28 year marriage . Ages 54 work , unskilled / 57 disabled . Three children over 30 years old . My total assets $ 296 . Her 401 ( k ) $ 152 , 000 . August 2012 , disability garnished . December 2012 , received two charges of contempt and arrears . Checked credit report and discovered $ 16 , 000 default child support . Nice move . That is all I know . I am overseas and apparently things are moving and they consider me in default . Working on statement now . I may qualify for an annulment . May send that with paperwork . If an annulment is approved , will I still need to deal with support issues and property settlement under cohabitation laws ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Randi Joy Silverman

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . Based in the information provided, it is unlikely that you will be able to get a legal annulment. However, as Attorney Stassin indicated, you should speak to an attorney in your county to determine whether an annulment is possible.

    My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute... more
  2. Larry David Stassin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Laws will vary state to state, but under the facts that are stated above, an annulment is not likely. I would suggest you contact an attorney in your area for representation.

    The answers provided are for informational purposes only and shall not be considered legal advice on your... more
  3. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I am not licensed in Pennsylvania, however it does not appear that you would be entitled to an annulment of your marriage. Go speak to a family law attorney near you to discuss your matter in more detail. It is likely you will need to file for divorce.

  4. Liwu Hong

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . it is unlikely that that you would be entitled to an annulment of your marriage. Consult with a local matrimonial attorney. It is likely you will need to file for divorce and deal with supporting and property distribution issues.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,932 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,932 answers this week

2,846 attorneys answering