If you have a injury that required surgery, and your doctor is saying you have no PPD, will there still be a settlement?

Asked about 1 year ago - Spokane, WA

right shoulder slap repair, estimated cost on my claim was around 32,000.00 - 8800.00 was for PPD, my doctor filled out a form saying there was no PPD, will I still get a settlement for time loss and going thru the pain and suffering?

1. Gregory Stuart Marshall

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . Typically, PPD is a term that applies to L&I claims. If you were injured on the job there would be no lump sum settlement if you have no PPD, and you should consult with an L&I attorney to see if you can get a rating from another doctor.

On the other hand, if a third party is responsible for your injuries, you may be entitled to a settlement--although you have not provided enough information to give advice about that. In personal injury claims, we generally talk about Permanent Impairment Ratings based on AMA guidelines. You may want to discuss that with your doctor. And you should definitely consult with an attorney about your claim.

I am in Everett but would be happy to discuss your claim with you if you give me a call.

2. Mark Compton Wagner

Pro

6

Answered . As you know, PPD stands for permenent partial disability. Whether you have a PPD or not really depends on how you have done since surgery. Certainly the fact you have had surgery suggests a PPD. You don't get a settlement for time loss. You get paid time loss if you are unable to work and undergoing treatment. There in no recovery...none... for pain and suffering under Washington Labor and Industries Claims. Call if you want to talk more...

3. Crystal Grace Rutherford

Pro

4

Answered . If you had a great result from the surgery and there are no restrictions in the shoulder, then there would not be permanent partial disability. If you have a L&I claim then there will be no final settlement as L&I has paid for all your care and likely for your time loss as well. Now, even if you have a L&I claim, if your injury was caused by a third party, you may have a potential claim against that third party who cannot be your employer. However, that potential claim will depend on whether the third party breached a duty of care toward you as in all personal injury claims. You need to speak to an attorney and give them all the facts that gave rise to your injury.

4. Timothy Leo Bowden

3

Answered . I would contact an attorney. I am surprised there is no rating.

Tim

5. Chris Matthew Limberopoulos

Pro

3

Answered . Get an attorney and a second opinion.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . Your lawyer, assuming qualified, knows what to do. You do have counsel; don't you?

Pro

3

Answered . Was this from an accident? You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com