Skip to main content

If you have a hit and run accident on your records, and you get it expunged, will it be expunged on your DMV records as well?

Placerville, CA |

I went to court and asked Judge to expunged this off my record, he agreed, as this was the first offense, and I was having a hard time getting a job, because it was on my record. I paid for all the property damage and at the time the judge gave me instead of jail time, community service for so many hours, that was all completed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Depends on your state's laws.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.

Robert Lee Marshall

Robert Lee Marshall


DUH. If you don't know the answer, why are you responding?


It depends on your dmv.

Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Robert Lee Marshall

Robert Lee Marshall


DUH! If you don't know the answer, why are you responding?


The accident will remain on your DMV record until it "drops off," and the action in the criminal court will not affect that.

A so-called "expungement" doesn't really expunge anything in California. It is really a dismissal under Penal Code 1203.4, which adds a notation to the court's record saying your case was dismissed after successful completion of probation.

Private employers are not supposed to ask about convictions that were dismissed under Penal Code 1203.4, or seek information about the dismissed cases on a background check, but the conviction remains a public record that anyone can access.

You must still disclose the conviction when applying for state professional licenses, running for political office, and contracting with the state lottery.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like this site, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.


You should make a formal request with the DMV to remove this from your driving record and attach the expungement and proof of restitution to the victim. Depending upon how long ago this happened, it may already be off your record.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer